Saturday, August 23, 2008

Obama’s half-brother a slum dweller in Nairobi

Huruma (Nairobi): His birth certificate shows that he is Barack Obama’s half-brother. George Obama lives in Huruma slum in Nairobi, far away from the glamour of the US presidential campaign.

He says that Obama’s history helped him come to terms with his own past.
“I think I wanted to learn about my father the same way he did. He came here. He was searching for his roots. I was trying to find my roots,” says George.

Barack Obama, who first met George when the Kenyan was a young child, called the experience a ‘painful affair’. George shared the awkwardness.

“I think maybe you don’t have anything to say, it is like meeting someone for the first time,” George stated.

Barack Obama’s father left his family in America and came to Kenya where George Obama was born. They share the same father but they couldn’t have had more different paths.

While Barack Obama grew up in Hawaii and INdonesia and settled in Chicago swiftly gaining prominence, George Obama has led a very different life, growing up in the ramshackle slums of Nairobi.

Some of his neighbors feel that perhaps the candidate Obama should help the brother Obama.

“I am a Kenyan so definitely I would like to live in Kenya,’ says George.

George is training to be a mechanic and helping out his extended family as best he can. He says he knows why Barack Obama will be president.

“I think because he wants to be. I think in life what you want is what you are supposed to get,” says he.

George will be rooting for his brother come November while drawing inspiration from the story and history that they share.

0 comments:

Post a Comment