Thursday, January 21, 2010

Freelancers hit by media restrictions at Maha Kumbh

Haridwar, Jan 21 (PTI) Strict guidelines introduced for issuing media passes, especially for those from abroad, have hit the freelancers and bloggers covering the Maha Kumbh, leaving many wondering why the new media is not being recognised by the administration.

The police have now introduced fresh guidelines under which passes issued to 23 foreign journalists have been cancelled, officials said.

"The new guidelines says I should have a letter from a media organisation and a press card besides the J (Journalist) visa. I am a freelancer and where do I get these from," Algis Kemezys said trying to convince the local officials here.

Kemezys, a photographer, also runs his own website and had earlier covered the Kumbh 12 years ago.

"Open my website and see it. I have pictures of my last Kumbh on it. Why can't the officials understand the new medium of journalism," he said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment