Tuesday, March 16, 2010

MCD officials threatened me, alleges RTI applicant

Thirty-three-year-old Mohit Sharma from Delhi took the RTI route to put an end to the civic mess in his colony, caused by rampant unauthorised construction. But now he claims a threat to his life. And his finger is pointed at the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).

"I sought this information regarding illegal constructions in Shahdara. As a consequence, I started receiving threat calls. But on March 12, three MCD employees came to my home and threatened my family," said Mohit.

East Delhi resident Mohit works for an NGO and also runs a confectionery store. He had applied for information under RTI Act 2005, regarding the illegal encroachments in his area. The Central Information Commission (CIC) has heard the matter three times and the fourth hearing is scheduled for March 17.

The CIC has also ordered the Public Information Officer (PIO) to provide all the information at the earliest, but Mohit said he has not received the full details so far.

"On March 12, executive engineer BMN Rao and assistant engineer Umesh Singh came to my home. Singh threatened me by saying you are too young to be flirting with danger. You do not have any idea of what you are doing. He also said I must accept before the information commission that I have received all the details or they will kill me," said Mohit.

A written complaint was filed by Mohit at Seemapuri police station on March 13.

When contacted, MCD official Umesh Singh rejected all charges against him. "We have done nothing. We are government employees. How can someone expect us to go inside someone's house and give death threats? Mohit is a smart guy; he has filed the RTI since he himself is living in a 5th floor flat, which is illegal," said Singh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment