Saturday, March 6, 2010

the rise and rise of rahman





‘Slumdog Millionaire’ was a moment of glory for every Indian out there. And it will top rehmans list of accomplishments for years to come ahead as well. The man Is so proud to have been part of a project as impactful as Danny Boyle’s award-winning movie. And now is looking forward to doing a lot more foreign films. Unfortunately, this also means cutting down on a lot of assignments back home. But that is a sacrifice the maestro is willing to make, as he looks to conquer new frontiers.
He has taken the first step in this direction with ‘Couples Retreat’, a quintessential American romantic comedy. It might not be the biggest project out there, but Rahman is happy with his small beginning. The typical family man that he is, a doting father to his three kids, Rahman tells us about his dreams and what’s he looking forward to in this month’s SPOTLIGHT.



After the Oscars and the Padma Bhushan, it was Grammy time for you. How do you feel?
I never even dreamt about winning all these awards. I once again want to thank the Almighty my spiritual Sufi teachers Ameen Peerullah and Malik Sahib, Danny Boyle and the whole ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ creative team. I’m also very happy to get the Padma Bhushan. Ever since the announcement was made, my phone hasn’t stopped ringing. I think I’ve received more congratulations for the Pad ma Bhushan than for the Oscars. It definitely means more when you’re recognized by your own people and country. I definitely value this award more than the Oscar or Grammy.


Would you say that winning the Oscar was the best moment of your life so far, as an entertainer?
No. I don’t know if I should tell you this. It is very personal. But a year ago, I underwent a spiritual experience, which was far greater than any of this glory can ever be. It happened during one of my pilgrimages. It made me calm. All the good stuff that happened to me after ‘Slumdog...’ was like a result of the experience I had last year. My music is an extension of my spiritual aspirations.

How do you look back at the last two years?
It’s been unbelievable. I didn’t expect a BAFTA. I thought the British had a different taste. But the impact
of the movie and music is pervasive. It’s just magic that happens once in a blue moon. I’ve experienced this international high once before, after my play ‘Bombay Dreams’. But the global critics liking my music in ‘Slumdog...’ is amazing. Before the Oscars, everyone had decided I’d get it. James Newton Howard who was nominated for the Best Musical Score for his brilliant work in ‘Defiance’ said to me, “You’re going to get it.” Hans Zimmer said some wonderful things about me. My regret is that I couldn’t meet Peter Gabriel. I’m a big fan of his. He made world music sound and feel really cool.
Suddenly you’ve become one of them. In Los Angeles and Hollywood, I felt the way a guy coming from a small town feels in Mumbai. But once I got to know them, I found them as ordinary as any of us. ‘Slumdog...’ has had a great impact on everyone’s lives. I was received with so much love by everyone in the US, from a cab driver to Steven Spielberg


Why do I feel you’ll be working with Spielberg soon?
I don’t know about that. But I’m locking in on a couple of projects in Hollywood. I have to be very careful about what I choose. I don’t want to end up as a one-hit-wonder in Hollywood. I have to respect what I’ve got. It’s very easy to lose it all. I now have to cut down on my work at home.


How much time will you spend in the US now?
50 per cent of the year I might be there, the rest over here. Before I accept some offers there,I need to stay put in the US for some time. To do so, I might have to leave some movies in India. I can’t do date jugglery.


Are you accepting any new offers in Bollywood?
At the moment I’m struggling against time to complete the Indian projects I have on hand. And that includes Mani Ratnam’s film ‘Raavan’ and Rajnikanth’s animation film ‘Sultan’. The last new assignment I accepted was Abbas Tyrewala’s ‘1-800-Love’. After that I’ve stopped for now.

You seem to be conflicted at the moment.
In the studio, my outer self has to be completely switched off. But when I’m at international public events, I’ve to be all there, shaking hands and making friendly talk. I have to ensure that) am saying the right things. I have to prepare myself physically, look into the mirror and make sure my hair and tie are in place. My South Indian friends say, “Oh look at him, he’s changed.” And that makes me uncomfortable.
realize I’ve to go out there with a certain amount of dignity and even style. I know I’m representing my country and everyone is watching. It’s all new to me. I’ve just begun to get a hang of it. But I’m not uncomfortable.

Are you avoiding taking on too many international projects?
I take on what is physically possible. Money is not the main criteria. If I do anything for money, everything will fall flat. I want to do only those assignments to which I can give my fullest. Money is not my dream. But it fulfils my dreams. The way I travel and accompanying expenses are costly. I can’t pretend money is not important. It is. For my family and me, and even for my children’s future, it is important.


Do you enjoy being called the Mozart of Madras?
I don’t mind. Because when they call me that, I don’t think they mean to compare us as musicians. I think they mean I was able to achieve a certain amount at a relatively young age, like Mozart. My wife dreamt that one day I’d win an Oscar, which I did. But after that, I’ve been constantly travelling. The kids are growing up now and one of us has to look after them. I’m spending as much time with them as I can. Or trying to make them part of what I do, so they can be with me.

Are your three children musically inclined?
Yes. But what they choose to do in their life is up to them. If one of them decides to become an astronaut, I wouldn’t be disappointed. You never know where life takes you.

Have you harbored any more ambitions?
I want to be happy. I have an agent in the US and the UK to look after my international projects. They’re completely trustworthy. They look after the careers of the likes of John Williams.

Tell us about your latest assignment ‘Couples Retreat’?
‘Couples Retreat’ has music that suits an American romantic comedy. There is no real Indian sound in it. But yes, there will be a touch of Indianness in the sound. Otherwise what is the point of bringing me into the picture? There’s no point in doing something I’ve already done. I’ve reached a stage where I have to do new things. There are so many avenues to be explored. So ‘Couples Retreat’ is their (read American) kind of music with my touch, done in my way. I hope I never let down my country, my people, my music, my family and myself.

Are you disappointed by your first foray into Hollywood?
Not really. Like I said it was a conscious choice. And if I had waited for the perfect Hollywood vehicle, I might have had to wait endlessly. The guys, who signed me for ‘Couples Retreat’, the writer Vince Vaughan and director Peter Billingsley, were really kind to have offered me this chance. It’s not easy for an Asian to enter into Hollywood camps. It’s a new beginning for me. I got great reviews.

- Subhash K jha

0 comments:

Post a Comment