Thursday, April 8, 2010

Dantewada attack: I take full responsibility, the buck stops with me, says Chidambaram

New Delhi, Apr 9 (ANI): Accepting moral responsibility for Tuesday’s Maoist attack in Dantewada district, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Friday said the buck stops with him in so far as the incident is concerned.

“Since last few days, many (media) have been asking where the buck stops? I would like to say to all of them, that the buck stops at my desk,” Chidambaram said while addressing the Valour Day celebration of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF).

Expressing his pain and anguish over some of the irresponsible statements being made against him, he said: “I assume full responsibility for what happened in Dantewada.”

Chidambaram said that he had even told Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, about this.

“Even when I briefed the Prime Minister on my return from Dantewada, I took full responsibility for the incident,” he said.

He said the government would take every action to keep the morale of the forces high.

“I think, I know my responsibility very well. My duty is to facilitate, to create a well paid, well fed, well trained, well equipped force to guard the integrity of the country,” Chidambaram said adding “I am doing my best in my capacity to make it possible.”

Chidambaram expressed shock over reports in a section of media that security forces were misbehaving with tribal women, while carrying out anti- Naxal operations.

“Some papers have written that CRPF men kill tribal people and rape women. Those who wrote such words have no heart and no concern,” he said.

“I ask everyone if you cannot go and report from the spot, please do not disrespect jawans, do not insult the valour and sacrifice of brave men,” Chidambaram said.

Chidambaram also denied reports of 62nd CRPF battalion failing to retaliate when ambushed.

“In the very same page, it was published that Naxalites looted, 42 AK 47 rifles, INSAS rifles, mortars and other ammunition. Our intelligence reports says eight Naxalites were killed in the incident,” Chidambaram said.

He also expressed unhappiness over the poor coverage of the sacrifices made by the men in uniform, and said, such things pain him a lot.

“Valour must be celebrated, bravery must be saluted, I salute those who all laid down their lives,” Chidambaram said.

He said the sacrifice and bravery of the men would inspire the coming generations.

“The valour, the bravery, the courage deserved to be remembered forever and ever,” Chidambaram said.

“It will continue to inspire many generations to come,” he added. (ANI)

0 comments:

Post a Comment