Thursday, December 20, 2012

Serial blasts rock Imphal, one killed, four hurt in three incidents First blast barely 100 metres from IE PS

IMPHAL, Dec 19 : One person has been killed while four others were injured in three blasts that rocked Imphal today.

52 year old Maibam Bira of Kha Maibam Leikai died when two unidentified persons on a two wheeler lobbed a hand grenade at the courtyard of one Laishram Kheda, a special contractor at Kakwa Maibam Leikai today at about 5 .30 pm.

Bira along with two others were working at the courtyard when the hand grenade exploded.

The three injured were rushed to Raj Poly Clinic, but Bira, who bore the impact of the blast, passed away shortly later.

His two co-workers who have been admitted to Raj Poly Clinic have been identified as Lourembam Manja (40) of Kha Maibam Leikai and Oinam Sanyayaima (42) of Liwa Lambi Oinam Leikai.

On immediate receipt of the information a team of Imphal West police commandos rushed to the site of the blast and gave a hot chase along Heirangoithong-MU road, exchanging gun fire with the fleeing men.

In the exchange of gun fire, a 25 year old youth who was driving a Maruti Alto car was hit by a bullet on the back.

The injured youth has been identified as Thongbam Romesh (25). He has been admitted to Shija hospital.

Earlier in the day a water tanker driver was injured while a CRPF convoy vehicle was damaged as two blasts were triggered one after the other near Star Sporting Ground, around 100 metre east of Imphal East PS along Imphal East DC Road.

The first blast went off around 10.15am today near Star Sporting Ground. The place where the incident occurred is located around 90 metres away from Imphal East DC Complex and 100 m away from Imphal East PS.

The injured driver has been identified as Sheikh Mustaf Ahmed (35) s/o (L) Abdul Mallika of Hapta Gulapati Mayai Leikai. He is a water tanker driver of Public Hospital. The vehicle (MN-1K/2062) he drove was also damaged.

He received splinter injury at the right leg and is being treated at JN Hospitals.

Few seconds later, another explosion went off at a drain near the Gate of Modern College along the DC Road, a few metres away from the spot where the first bomb exploded.

The second blast occurred just when the convoy vehicles of 143 CRPF escorting a water tanker passed off the area, sources said. One of the CRPF’s vehicles (AR-11W/6752) was damaged and its tyre deflated.

Following the twin blasts, police personnel and bomb experts led by Imphal East SP cordoned off the area. Other than the recovery of explosives splinters, no suspected item has been detected nor any arrest made.

Police suspected the bombs that went off were made of improvised explosive device (IED). No group has claimed responsibility for the incident so far.


Post a Comment